A Niceville, Florida man is recovering in a burn center after an electric cigarette exploded in his mouth. The explosion knocked out his teeth, burned his mouth, and took out part of his tongue.
According to ABC News affiliate WCTI, the 57-year-old man was smoking the e-cigarette in his study when the explosion occurred. His wife heard what sounded like a firecracker going off followed by a scream.
According to North Bay Fire District chief, Butch Parker, a faulty battery inside the device likely caused the accident. He compared the explosion to a bottle rocket going off in the victim’s mouth.
E-cigarettes have become a popular cigarette-alternative for people who want to quit smoking. The devices can simulate the physical sensation and even the flavor of smoking real cigarettes. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not currently regulate the battery-operated devices, although a spokesman did say they are looking into regulating other categories of tobacco products, which may include electric cigarettes.
Some experts say the FDA should conduct studies on electronic cigarettes and that they should be regulated. According to Dr. John Spangler, a professor of medicine at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, there is currently no legitimate scientific data that supports e-cigarette safety.
Protecting You Against Faulty Products
Injuries resulting from unsafe products shouldn’t be tolerated. That’s why the Florida product liability attorneys at Farah & Farah want you to call us at (800) 533-3555 if you have been injured by a faulty product. We will work with you to get you the compensation you deserve.
Sources: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/electric-cigarette-explodes-fla-mans-face/story?id=15645605#.Tz6UOc3at2B; http://www.huliq.com/10473/e-cigarette-explodes-mans-mouth-knocks-out-teeth-part-tongue